Thursday, January 06, 2005

The Trip (Day02 Continued...)



He and I met years back… Start of it was just mere acquaintances. Typical piece, we were introduced by a mutual friend.

It was a 3year-old relationship. The bond was blissful. We shared nice and pleasing moments. We endured the bitter ones. It was a pretty cool link. It ended for some reasons everybody knew, but nobody understood. Things at that time went a little taxing for us. I was starting a career, same as him… Ano na nga yung tawag nila don? ‘Nag-grow kayo apart?’ Or how else they call it, I’ve no idea. Last time I saw him? The last time was when we fixed on to end our involvement with each other. We settled on not to see each other anymore… less hurt, less pain for both of us. In fairness to him, I in reality asked for it but I’d say we equally did a good job in keeping our promise. And so everything else went on from there.

Four years… Four long years after that agreement we come across each other again.

“Nakita ko kasi sila Mark… Naalala ko t’wing summer and December, you go out of town with them. And just as I thought nandito ka nga.” He said while I was having my own time reminiscing. “I see… So, how are you? It’s been awhile, I’m really surprised to see you. You’re on vacation too?” I asked, as I slowly recover from flabbergast. “We’re on vacation, yeah. Kasama ko sila Drew… nandon sila banda eh. Sama ka muna sa akin pabalik don mamaya. I’m sure they’ll be all happy to see you.” He points on the opposite section of the shore. I agreed. I wanted to see them as well. They are our friends. The people I guess we have hurt more when things didn’t work out between him and me. I met them when he and I were starting… They have become dear to me since then. “How are you? What’s new with you?” he asked. “I’m good, thank you. Maraming bago. Surname ko bago na, pero malapit na uling magbago…” I riddled. “Okay… So what does that mean? Parang kulang yata one day sa atin to catch up on everything. And I’ve been planning to call you when we get back to Manila… Naunahan lang na nakita kita dito. I’ve some things to tell you kasi. Na-miss kita, totoo!” He said. I felt a shiver run down my spine. I faithfully understood what he meant but I can’t absolutely discern where he’s getting at. He’s right. A day to catch up isn’t enough… “Arte mo! Hanggang ngayon sugar coated tongue ka pa rin. Iho, kung kahapon lang kita nakilala, baka pwede pa kong maniwala sa mga pinagsasabi mo... Eto talaga! Hoy, ako lang to! H’wag ka umakting diyan!” I teased. There’s no other way to dodge the subject matter.

I tried to focus on some other minutiae. We talked about what’s up with each other. Talked about the comings and goings that has happened after our farewell. The conversation was unflustered, deep at the same time. For four years I, in all honesty took a crack in keeping my word. There were moments that I felt I shouldn’t have let go… that maybe if I held on to whatever it is that we had… maybe, a lot of maybes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! as in Oh my gosh!

Pag may tao ka talagang ayaw makita... yun pa yung nagpaparamdam! pag gustung-gusto mo na makita, ayaw naman! Asar na buhay to! Inis ako ha! Trabaho na lang tayo... payaman pa! ---Ains