Monday, February 21, 2005

Ask And You Shall Receive

St. Basils Cathedral
“Sana po manalo ko sa lotto.” “Sana po gumaling na sakit ng lolo ko.” “Sana po magtino na asawa ko.” “Pls dear Lady, give me a loving and faithful boyfriend.” “Oh my gosh, bless me dear Lady, I want to be promoted na sa work, “Maka-graduate na po sana ko, 7 taon na po ko sa College Dear Lady of Manaoag…” etc, etc. Nakakabingi, just standing there, parang I hear all of their prayers.

Our Dear Lady of Manaoag Church, Pangasinan. Most of them say she’s miraculous. Maraming nagpatotoo, bumabalik sila sa Manaoag to say thank you for granting their prayers. Imagine those people who go there, from all parts of the country. Individuals from all walks of life, they are there for a sole intention… for their prayers to be granted. You have to bear a 4-5hour trip from manila, without the ridiculous traffic, 6hours if there is. Parking slots are chock-full. Within the church premises, it’s really crowded (pwede na kayong magkapalitan ng mukha ng katabi mo, in fairness). You have to tolerate a long (and I mean really looong) line for you to lay a hand on the image and say your short (5seconds lang, take note) prayer and petitions.

I went to Manaoag for a certain petition, yes. It is something I have been long praying for. Kasama na sa lahat ng nagsisimba at pumipila para mahawakan yung miraculous image, isa na doon yung request ko na sana i-grant Niya. Although I’m not sure if She’d give me a YES answer to it, at least I tried. Kaya lang sabi nila dapat pag nag-request ka doon definite raw yung hihingin mo and whole-hearted ka. I’m not asking for something unworkable or impossible, so I deem it’ll be handed to me if not now, in next to no time at least.

I am moved, sincerely. How people keep up with their dedication and faith in God considering the things that’s been happening to us right now. The catastrophic tsunami, scarcity, battles here and there, disastrous typhoons, ruinous landslides and accidents. Truly, ‘when there’s no else to turn to… we turn to God.’ That’s what we always say. I know people go to Manaoag for their personal petitions; they want some things for themselves. Still I regard it as an act of devotion. We cling on to the Lord’s promise, ‘ask and you shall receive.’ I realized how one can be faithful and humble for their requests and prayers, thus having their hopes granted.

What’s important, we believe; may it be pleads for ourselves or for the whole mankind.

No comments: