Wednesday, May 18, 2005

When The Lightning Strikes

Lightning
A good friend of mine had once written a story about herself. “When The Lightning Strikes.” That was the title of the story. While she was reading it to the class, I knew she felt as if it was happening all over again. She nearly cried. The story was sentimental, I felt gushy. She shared a part of her life that one can relate and be attached to it.

Back then, we were 23 in class… all new faces. I barely know her, I knew nothing but her name (can’t even recall if I liked her the first time). Though she was one of the few people who were really at ease in talking about their private and delicate lives, I sensed in her fear and worry.

She found out she’s pregnant. My friend’s civil status? Single, in a relationship. That was the lightning she was referring to in her story. My friend at that time didn’t know what to do. She wasn’t even sure if her partner can still be called the ‘significant other’ in her current situation. She took risk, broke the news to her partner, and with dread, time lagged for his reaction. Moments of silence passed. No distinct reaction on his face. He seemed hit by a lightning too.

After minutes of stillness, finally he moved. Fixed his eyes on her, held her hand and with a soft voice he said, “We’ll get through this together. It’s going to be alright.” And he gave her a kiss on the forehead.

She didn’t think he’ll stay. My friend was certain before the talk, whether or not he’ll be there for her; the baby’s going to be okay. That she’ll pull through. She’s all relieved. She rose above every difficulty. She managed to deal with it as positively as she can. God has blessed her. She’s happy.

I am so proud of my friend. She’s all hopeful, confident and optimistic. Not everyone can face it like how she did.

When the lightning strikes straight onto your face? What will you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! sana ganon lahat ng lalaki no? sad truth is, 1 out of 2 million na lang yata ang responsible and marunong manindigan. yung iba "olats" (tin's term for loser, ewan sa nya nakuha!) na!

san ba nagtatago yung ilan pa? pls lumabas na! ---ains